Iranian journalist stabbed in London by Tehran-linked Romanian nationals, UK court hears
British-Iranian journalist Pouria Zeraati

A British court on Monday heard explosive allegations that the Iranian state used Romanian nationals as “proxies” to carry out a knife attack on a London-based Iranian journalist linked to opposition broadcaster Iran International.According to news agency Reuters, Pouria Zeraati, a British-Iranian journalist working for the Persian-language channel critical of Tehran, was stabbed three times near his home in Wimbledon, southwest London, in March 2024.Prosecutors described the assault as a “deliberate, planned act of violence” allegedly orchestrated on behalf of Iran.

Romanian duo on trial

Romanian nationals Nandito Badea, 21, and George Stana, 25, are standing trial at Woolwich Crown Court. Both have denied charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and unlawful wounding.A third suspect, David Andrei, accused of restraining Zeraati during the attack, was arrested in Romania but is not part of the current trial.According to prosecutor Duncan Atkinson KC, Badea allegedly stabbed Zeraati while Andrei held him in place. Stana is accused of driving the getaway vehicle.

Prosecutors allege Iran-linked plot

Opening the prosecution’s case, Atkinson told jurors the assault was “not a random attack or robbery” but a targeted operation linked to Iran’s campaign of intimidation against dissidents and journalists abroad.“This was deliberate, planned violence intended to cause serious injury,” he said.The court heard prosecutors believe the attack was “ordered by a third party acting on behalf of the Iranian state”, with the accused allegedly motivated by money.Iran has denied involvement in the stabbing.

Iran International in Tehran’s crosshairs

Zeraati works for Iran International, the London-based Persian-language broadcaster backed by Saudi interests and fiercely critical of the Iranian regime. Tehran has previously branded the network a “terrorist organisation” and accused it of acting as a spy platform.Jurors were told that in November 2022, posters featuring photographs of journalists including Zeraati appeared in Tehran carrying the chilling message: “Wanted: dead or alive.”The prosecution argued that Zeraati had become an “obvious and readily identifiable target” for violence.The court also heard claims that the operation involved months of surveillance.Prosecutors said Stana was stopped by police in March 2023 near Zeraati’s Wimbledon residence while allegedly conducting reconnaissance. Officers reportedly found him wearing gloves and a surgical mask, carrying scissors, while another unidentified man had a sports bat concealed in a bag.WhatsApp messages shown to the jury allegedly discussed puncturing Zeraati’s car tyres.Further reconnaissance was allegedly carried out in the weeks leading up to the March 2024 attack, with phone data placing the suspects in the area repeatedly.

Escape route and money trail

After the stabbing, the attackers allegedly fled in a Mazda driven by Stana before abandoning the vehicle and taking a taxi to Heathrow Airport. Prosecutors said the trio then boarded a flight to Geneva.The court heard investigators traced more than £80,000 transferred through accounts linked to Stana’s sister, allegedly funded via a London-based construction company. Prosecutors claimed detectives linked the money trail to a British-Iranian dual national.

Wider pattern of ‘Iranian terror’

Atkinson told jurors that Iran has increasingly relied on criminal gangs and hired operatives abroad rather than deploying its own agents directly.“In recent years, the Islamic Republic has increasingly used proxies such as criminal gangs to carry out intimidation and violence,” he said, describing the attack as part of a broader campaign of “Iranian terror” targeting dissidents and critics overseas.The trial is expected to continue for several weeks.



Source link

By sushil

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *