Canada gurdwara stabbing: Two injured in Edmonton, suspect held day after prison release
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada gurdwara

Two people were injured in a stabbing at a gurdwara in Edmonton, Canada, on Friday morning, with police arresting a 27-year-old man who had been released from prison a day earlier after serving a sentence for assaulting a peace officer.Acting Insp. Eric Stewart of the Edmonton Police Service said the suspect had an extensive history of violent attacks dating back to 2015. He was released from a federal prison in Alberta on Thursday but failed to report to his designated halfway house in Edmonton.The attack took place at the Nanaksar Gurdwara at around 04:49 local time after police received reports of a man walking in traffic on a highway. About 15 minutes later, officers received reports of a stabbing inside the gurdwara.Police said the suspect entered the gurdwara and attempted to access the prayer area before being confronted by staff.“This confrontation then escalated, and two male patrons of the Gurdwara were stabbed. Thankfully, quick-acting witnesses intervened and detained the man,” Acting Inspector Eric Stewart said at a press conference Friday.The victims, aged 75 and 51, were taken to hospital. Police said both suffered injuries that were not serious and were in stable condition.Police have not yet identified a motive for the attack and said charges against the suspect are still pending. Investigators are examining whether the stabbing was motivated by hateful ideology.Edmonton police chief Warren Driechel urged the public to allow investigators time to establish the suspect’s motivations, while acknowledging concerns over rising hate crimes.“I see the heightened geopolitical tensions and increasing polarisation around the world showing up locally,” he said. “These realities can’t be ignored, and we need to call them out when they happen. We cannot remain silent.”The World Sikh Organization of Canada said the attack was deeply troubling and came amid what it described as rising anti-Sikh hate in the country.The organisation also said a copy of the Sikh scripture inside the gurdwara was desecrated during the attack. Police said they were aware of the report and were investigating it.“Police are currently on scene and the Gurdwara has been closed to the public while the investigation continues,” the Sikh organisation said in a statement.UK Prime Minister Mark Carney condemned the attack and expressed solidarity with those injured and the wider Sikh community.“The attack at the Nanaksar Gurdwara in Edmonton this morning is appalling. My thoughts are with the two people who were injured and the wider community that is shaken by this terrible event. No one should ever feel unsafe in their place of worship. I want to thank the Edmonton Police Service for their swift response,” Carney said in a post on X.The attack came days after police in Calgary, about two hours south of Edmonton, confirmed they were investigating threatening calls made to two Sikh gurdwaras in the city.Calgary Mayor Jeromy Farkas condemned those threats, describing them as “utterly disgusting”.“Gurdwaras are places of hospitality, generosity and service. Everyone is welcome,” Farkas said.Police have continued their investigation at the Edmonton gurdwara, which remains closed to the public.



Source link

By sushil

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *